Title: Construction Project Manager
Reports To: General Manager
You play a crucial role in ensuring our projects, are delivered on time and on budget. This is a key leadership role that works collaboratively with our power line construction and communications teams. The Construction Project Manager will also be responsible for estimating various types of projects, preparing bids for work and managing and reporting all milestones throughout the project schedule.
The Construction Project Manager (CPM) will be responsible for all aspects of project management, including startup, obtaining building permits, preparing tenders, budgets, estimates and construction schedules. The CPM will also be responsible for completing invoicing and participating in tender debriefs.
The CPM will work with in-house and external construction personnel to ensure project construction is executed in a timely and efficient manner while maintaining integrity of design, and will work closely with the organization to ensure feasibility and costing of projects.
- Prepare Tender Process, Budgets, Estimates, Construction Schedules, progress and regularly scheduled reports
- Oversee projects startup, progress and prepare reports
- Oversee the management of an average of 5-10 projects consecutively to stay close to construction documents and the requirements needed to execute projects successfully.
- Work with internal partners for plan approvals, including value engineering efforts when projects are trending over the approved budget in various phases of design prior to starting construction. Review project scope, schedule and financial reporting to mitigate overall negative impact to the company.
- Maintain impeccable records on shared drive of budget, vendor orders, contracts, schedules, etc. including other project reports
- Maintaining strong relationships with cross-functional partners to consistently develop and evolve associated processes.
- Manage communications with Senior Leadership including program level status reporting.
- Proactively identify, prioritize, and drive resolution of issues and risks
- Delivering additional projects, duties, and assignment as required and/or by request by the General Manager
- Manage trade contractor site meetings, RFI’s, invoices and control document process
- Observe that Work Safe Practices are being followed during site visits
- Verify the accuracy of change orders and ensures change orders are approved by client
- Manage completion requests and Project close out
- Ensure all contractual issues are resolved and dealt with in a timely manner
- Coordinates and directs the buy-out of trade contracts including a scope of work review
- Finalize all sub-trade contractual issues
- Manage internal or external contractors or trades
- Identify suitable service offerings for clients.
- Provide recommendations to client on all bid summaries
- Maintain rapport with clients
- Establish a Project Charter for each approved project, defining the projects goals, objectives, risks, assumptions, staffing levels, roles and responsibilities, work breakdown structure, milestones, and deliverables.
- Conduct cost-benefit analyses, risk analyses, and ROI calculations to determine project feasibility.
- Manage project activities throughout lifecycle, including the allocation of adequate resources, scheduling, documentation, budget, and other factors necessary for success.
- Working in conjunction with the specific Project Manager, plan all project timelines, milestones, deliverables, and micro-deliverables using the appropriate software tools and/or PM methods.
- Organize project teams into suitable workgroups and guide the teams throughout their efforts to produce deliverables according to specification.
- Establish and deliver mechanisms for tracking project progress and reporting to stakeholders via a formal communications plan.
- Conduct stakeholder meetings and forums in order to solicit feedback, input, and expectations; incorporate these into project plans.
- Track all project costs to ensure completion within budget; procure extra budget funding where necessary through the change order request process
- Closely monitor the efforts and billing of third-party workers, such as consultants, contractors, and other specialists.
- Identify and resolve conflicts within project teams and associate work; create contingency plans to mitigate risk.
- Manage project dependencies.
- Conduct project post mortems in order to identify areas for improvement and identify lessons learned; make recommendations based on findings.
- Oversee total construction effort to ensure project is constructed in accordance with design, budget and schedule.
- Interface with client representatives, Engineering representative, subcontractors, security, etc.
- Plan, coordinate and/or supervise activities of all company personnel on assigned project(s).
- Authorize/approve all project personnel transactions, purchase requisitions, change requests, etc.
- Ensure all company, client, and project policies, procedures, standards, etc., are adhered to.
- Interpret policies as required.
- Provide direction to planning, scheduling, and engineering functions as required.
- Perform additional assignments per supervisor’s direction.
- High School Diploma
- PMP designation
- A solid understanding of all construction trades and construction techniques in the power line industry
- 5 or more years of Commercial Construction experience, or 10 years of experience as a licensed PLT Journeyman
- 5 years of direct work experience in construction project management.
- Ability to read prints, schematics, as- builds, field drawings and plans
- Strong management, delegation, planning and leadership skills
- Effectiveness in the areas of construction safety and productivity
- Knowledge of local, provincial and federal workplace compliance regulations, ordinances and legislation
- Commitment to working in a team environment, with established team building abilities
- Strong communication, leadership, integration, problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work safely in a construction environment; knowledge of OH&S regulations
- Superior leadership qualities with a demonstrated track record of dealing successfully with internal and external customers
- Results-oriented individual with the ability to interpret and effectively manage multiple and competing priorities and time lines
- Understanding fundamentals of contracts and experience in managing contractors under the terms of a contract
- Demonstrated success in project delivery and execution of project management methods.
- Highly effective negotiation, diplomatic, and conflict resolutions skills.
- Superb creation and facilitation of meetings, feedback sessions, and briefings in order to create consensus among stakeholders.
- Able to effectively communicate with all types of staff, including laborers, technical, professional, and upper management.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with business units, corporate departments, key managers, and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise necessary cost control measures
- Possess a valid drivers license
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft computer software (e.g. Excel, Word, etc.) and email
- Flexibility to adjust to shifting priorities and deadlines.